Thursday, June 4, 2015

I went to Panama. What?

Hey y'all! 

I just need to start off by saying that God is so incredible. I have a feeling as I start this blog that that sentence will be a theme throughout my time here in Panama. 

First off, His timing is perfect. Let me start at the very beginning to explain that one. 

Back in March, Bro. Robert Creech, a missionary in Panama, sent out a prayer letter asking for people to come down for a month or so to help teach the Panamanian people English. The need was filled through June, and they were asking people to come in July. 

Now, a year ago I honestly don’t think that I would have given Bro. Robert’s prayer letter a second thought. I would have probably heard the need, but I wouldn’t have been comfortable at all going. 

But here’s the crazy part. 

In March, missions had been on my heart and mind for quite some time. I had been praying that if missions was something God wanted me to do that He would send me an opportunity, and that I would be ready and willing to go when it showed up. I was thinking I would try to go somewhere next January after I graduate in December. 

I had just gotten my courage up to talk to my parents about my desire to go somewhere to help a missionary if the opportunity came up one Sunday afternoon. 

Little did I know that the very next week the mission report would be from Bro. Robert. 

 I could tell my mom was trying not to look right at me from her spot at the piano, but I couldn’t believe my ears. 

I didn’t really think I would end up going. I had an internship to do over the summer and I really didn’t expect them to be okay with me being missing for a month.

I’m not ESL certified, so I wasn’t sure they could even use me.

 I’m also the maid of honor in my friend’s wedding in August, so I didn’t think it would be the best thing for me to be gone the whole month before her wedding. 

As you can see, I had convinced myself immediately that I wasn’t going. Even though he needed people in July, I knew I would have to get more information just to prove the whole “I’m willing to go Lord” thing.

So I emailed my pastor asking for more information. He put me in contact with Bro. Robert who told me it would be no problem for me to come in June instead of July. 

I got my internship with the missions organization I was really wanting (whoop whoop!) and they assured me they could spare me for the month of June and encouraged me to go. A lot of interns would be on a mission trip for a big part of the month of June as well. (There’s that timing thing again)

Bro. Robert said I didn't need my ESL certificate, but that I could come work with someone in June.

Courtney (the bride) was more than happy for me to go in June, which was no surprise at all. 

I surprised myself when I felt completely at peace about going and told my parents and church. As the days went by I got more and more excited about going. It feels like I just heard about the opportunity yesterday, and (short story long)  here I am sitting on my bed in Panama writing my first blog post about it. 

That’s all I’ve got for now, but I’ll talk about my first few days here in the next post! 

Please keep me and the work I’ll be doing in your prayers! 


Ryleigh 

2 comments:

  1. I took a group down there a couple Octobers ago. I cried when I read the letter you referenced. I can't go because of responsibilities. Continue to yield yourself to God's service. You will be blessed and be a blessing while you are there. Bro. Robert is about as good as they come. Bro. Yañez and Alexis, too. It is good that you are blogging about it.

    Randy Winesburgh
    Cloverdale Baptist Church

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is good all the time! I know you are having great time. I can't wait to read your next blog entry.

    ReplyDelete